Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Middle School 6th Grade Social Studies

The teacher came down sick suddenly last night so I prepped myself and my kids for the morning to come.

I've got to make sure that the kids understand they have to be up early and on task in the morning or they won't make the bus and I won't be home to help out.

I usually have to rise at 5:30 on days that I work just so that I can have time to get me ready as well as lunches, laundry, dishes, get the kids up, and make sure they shower and eat. It is honestly exhausting, though I know I'm not the only person that has to accomplish these tasks in the morning.

Today I'm in a 6th grade Social Studies. No lesson plans - I'm cool with that. I was informed that a movie would be in store for each class period. That I'm not cool with. I get easily sleepy and bored. I asked the kids what they were working on and if they could handle getting on task and staying that way for the period. Luckily, it is a project in small groups. So easy for them to manage on their own with supervision.

They seem to love this project and were anxious to get started. We worked hard for 3/4 of the period then as a wind down, I put Anastasia on for the last 10-15 minutes, depending on their energy level. I hope that the regular teacher doesn't mind that I went ahead and worked on the project with the kids. It was a pretty self explanatory thing and all of the kids seemed to be really into it. I was able to offer advise and insisted that each group go over their part with me. I just hate the idea of wasting time and I felt that watching a movie for the entire period would do nothing for the kids. I was afraid they would get restless without noise and movement.

So far, I'd say the day is a success. I've got two more periods this afternoon though. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment