Wednesday, April 27, 2011

High School English

Well,
The high school was great. We tackled Romeo and Juliet with Big Whiney Baby Leo DeCaprio, resumes, essay tests, journaling, and much more.

The classes were pretty great. I'd had them last week. I had one incident where a safety monitor had to be called. No big deal, I just didn't think I needed to take any more crap from one of the students. I figure if I don't take charge right away, the whole period would be a wash.

I had a super time with the 11th graders. One girl slept through the whole class. Love it. At this point, the teachers have just kind of given up. With 4 weeks left of school, if the student chooses to sleep and not turn in any work, what can I do? They don't want a lecture, they want life handed to them in an ice cream cone with toppings. I'm not the gal to do it. School is simple if you make the decision to participate and turn in work.

That isn't to say that academics is easy. I know they aren't from having a daughter that struggles. I also know that the academically challenged can succeed with determination.

The rest of the 11th grade class was great and on task for the most part. They managed to joke around, have fun, and get their resumes to look like they are done. SWEET! That is a successful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment